JAY MICHAELS ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Jay Michaels is a producer/director, marketing and public relations executive, entrepreneur & educator. He has been part of the indie theater and film scene since 1985. In 1997, he took the knowledge he acquired as a casting director for New York Daily News commercials and production associate for KSL Media and PBS and founded the boutique PR firm that now bears his name. Jay Michaels Arts & Entertainment creates visibility for self-producing stage artists and production companies on the East & West coasts and in multiple film arenas. Stage clients include Planet Connections Theatre Festivity; Downtown Urban Arts Festival; Fresh Fruit Festival; New York New Works Theatre Festival; Richard Skipper Celebrates; the Improvisational Repertory Theatre Ensemble; Step1 Theatre Project; Medicine Show Theatre; Opera at Hunter College; Spotlight-On Festivals; Playwrights/Authors Doug DeVita, Gary Morgenstein, Patrick Hickey, Jr., Anthony J. Piccione, Antonia Kasper, and Dorian Palumbo; Cabaret Artists Lane Bradbury, Andrea Bell Wolff, and Rev. Mary and Granny’s Blue-Mers. Film clients include award-winning filmmakers, Eliana Ujueta (“Beneath The Rock,” “The Airport Run”) and Ben Goldstein (“Jack London”) and Steve Silver (“The Watchtower,”). JMA&E also produces live promotional events. Michaels presented live promo events for the HBO Summer Stage, Spotlight-On Film Festival, and the promo showings of “UVX,” a live theater and film hybrid, which was a sponsor of the 2017 New York ComicCon. In 1999, he and Mary Elizabeth Micari formed Genesis Repertory Ensemble, a non-profit arts organization dedicated to giving opportunities to emerging artists in the stage and film (and live event) industries. A professor of communications at Kingsborough College, Michaels continues to appear as a guest speaker and artist throughout the tri-state area at universities and arts organizations.
- Jay Michaels Arts & Entertainment has 40 years of experience in arts marketing and promotion:
- 1986: The Joyce Theater, promoting
- Twyla Tharp
- Murray Louis & Alwin Nikolais
- Mabou Mines
- Theatre 890
- Ballet Tech
- Eliot Feld
- Drama Desk Award-winning American Regional Theater Exchange (including the Long Wharf Theater and Mark Taper Forum).
- 1989: Special promotional associate for the New York Daily News
- He sat ringside at Madison Square Garden
- Wrote copy for Bob Hope at Carnegie Hall
- Assisted Robert Maxwell at The United Nations
- Handled casting for the newspaper’s TV commercials
- Served as production manager for the News/PBS’s Increase The Peace.
- 1993 – 2000: Broadway, National Tour, TV:
- Broadway revivals of Guys & Dolls (1992) and Damn Yankees (1994)
- Columbia Artists Management national tour coordinator for Cats, Les Miserables, Edwin Drood, and Oliver
- KSL Media New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles
- 2000 – TODAY: NYC’s Independent Arts & Education Community:
- Director of Public Relations @ Midtown International Theatre Festival
- Production Manager, The Vagina Monologues, Broadway’s Town Hall
- Promoted and Produced Events at…
- Planet Connections Theater Festivity
- Downtown Urban Arts Festival
- Midtown International Theater Festival
- Fringe Festival
- Fresh Fruit Festival
- Samuel French Festival
- New York New Works Theatre Fest
- Spotlight-On Productions
- Genesis Repertory
- The Kaye Playhouse @ Hunter College
- Mimes & Mummers at Fordham University
- Yeshiva Arts Festival
- Manhattan Rep
- FRIGID Fest
- Lehman and Kingsborough college theater programs
- Marketing Director for …
- Fashion shows
- Art gallery openings
- Perscriptives promotion at Macy’s
- Brightest Star Award for the Block Institute (one of its founders)
- Senior Marketing Executive for a prominent international philanthropy, Mr. Michaels wrote speeches and coordinated event materials for events featuring
- Hillary Clinton
- Fran & Barry Weissler
- Jon Stewart
- James Earl Jones
- The Nederlanders
- Clive Davis
- Alex Shchegol (College of Advance Technology founder)
- Lawrence and Lilly Wajnberg (Novoye Russkoye Slovo)
- He also headed the Israel at 65 International Marketing Mission Campaign creating its slogans and heading its design and marketing team.
- He produced and edited a documentary on Time Warner founder, Steven J. Ross
- Wrote (and voiced) numerous PSAs, and appeared in the recent Community Study TV commercial.
- 1986: The Joyce Theater, promoting
- A professor at Kingsborough College, Mr. Michaels has lectured on arts management at venues Theatre Resources Unlimited
- Recognized in …
- SDC National Quarterly
- The New York Times
- Soul of the American Actor
- American Theater Magazine.
YOU KNOW JAY MICHAELS WORKED AS
an actor, a director, a producer, and a playwright?
His productions …
- won ASCAP, MITF, SPOTLIGHT, and OOBR Awards
- were published by Samuel French
- were nominated for Drama Desk, GLAAD, and NY Innovative Theatre awards.
SO… He knows how important your production truly is.
Click the + sign below for SOCIAL MEDIA